I completed Bsc in Economics in 2001 and since November 2002 I have been recruited as Assistant Lecturer at National University of Rwanda. I have experience of over 15 years in Research, administration, Consultancy and Academia fields. I have been involved in teaching, research, consultancies and management.
2017: PhD in Statistics (Econometrics), Makerere University, Uganda
2007: MSc in Economics with two specializations: Econometrics and international economics and finance, University of Montreal, Canada
2001: BSc in Economics, National University of Rwanda, Rwanda
Current Position: Director of African Centre of Excellence in Data Science (ACE-DS) & Lecturer in Department of Applied Statistics, College of Business and Economics, University of
College of Business and Economics, University of Rwanda
P.O. Box 1514 Kigali, Rwanda
Phone: (+250) 788 484 421
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Languages: English, French, Kinyarwanda and Kiswahili
Areas of research interest:
- Economics using econometric techniques
- Statistics and data Science
- Policy analysis
Modules/courses taught at university are Econometrics I and II, Policy Analysis, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics, Statistical software, Advanced Econometrics.
Publications are available on: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=h35fteIAAAAJ&hl=en or https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Charles_Ruranga/publications
1. Ruranga, C., Mugenzi, M. and Mutabazi, A. (2018). Spatial price transmission analysis in beans and rice markets of Rwanda. Rwanda Handbook of Economic and Social Policy, Chapter 13, Vol. 1, Pages 397- 419, Jönköping International Business School, January 2018.
2. Ruranga, C. and Mutabazi, A. (2015). Food Prices Transmission in Rwanda: Econometric Analysis. Rwanda Journal, Series B: Social Sciences (ISSN 2305-2678 (Print); ISSN 2305-5944), 2 (1):019-029. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/rj.v2i1.3B
3. Ruranga, C., Ocaya, B. and Kaberuka, W. (2014). VAR Analysis of Economic Growth, Domestic Investment, Foreign Direct Investment, Domestic Savings and Trade in Rwanda. Greener Journal of Economics and Accountancy (ISSN: 2276-7762), 3 (2): 030- 041; July 2014.
4. Ruranga, C., Ocaya, B. and Kaberuka, W. (2014). Analysis of Rwandan Economic Performance Before and After the 1994 Genocide. African Journal of Economic Review (ISSN 1821-8148), 2(2): 001-018; July 2014.
5. Ocaya, B., Ruranga, C. and Kaberuka, W. (2013). Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth in Rwanda: A Time Series Analysis, Journal of Business Management and Corporate Affairs (ISSN 2354-3469), 2(1): 11-18; January 2013.
6. Ocaya, B., Ruranga, C. and Kaberuka, W. (2012). Dynamic Relationship between Gross Domestic Product and Domestic Investment in Rwanda, World Journal of Education (ISSN 1925-0746(Print), ISSN 1925-0754(Online)), 2(6): 79-90. December 2012.
7. Ruranga, C. (2011). Analyse des déterminants de l’épargne nationale du Rwanda. African Union Commission (AUC), Proceedings of the Second Congress of African Economists, ISSN number: 1993-6177, Vol. 1: 17-35, November 2011. Available on http://ea.au.int/en/sites/default/files/2nd%20Congress%20Vol%201.pdf
January 2017 – current: Director African Centre of Excellence in Data Science (ACE-DS), CBE, UR
June 2015 – August 2017: Head of Department of Applied Statistics, CBE, UR
November 4th, 2008 – July 2011: Vice-Dean for Administration and Finance, Faculty of Economics and Management, NUR.
30th June 2009 – 30th June 2010: Project Manager of NPT/RWA/053 project. Cooperation between NUFFIC, Netherlands and NUR
March - December 2002: Regional Representative of « Union des Banques Populaires du Rwanda » in Ruhengeri province
1. Ruranga, C. (2014). Measurement and Mapping of Non-Monetary Poverty, National data analyst, National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR), Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN) [Rwanda], Fourth Rwanda Population and Housing Census 2012. January 2014.
2. June-August 2013: Food price transmission analysis in Rwanda, National University of Rwanda (NUR) – Food Price Trends Project, funded by The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA), August 2013.
3. January – May 2011: Elaboration and presentation of “the Public Sector Strategic Plan for HIV and AIDS 2011-2013”, Mifotra, UPSLS, June 2011.
4. 8th -12th November 2010: SPSS for statistical analysis training for RALGA (Rwandese Association of Local Government Authorities) staff.
5. January – December 2010: Employer and Graduate Survey. Final report gives the information on the socio-demographic data of graduates and their families, course of study at the university, transition from university to employment (including period of unemployment), current employment status and further training/education undertaken since graduation, employers impression on the quality and scope of targeted NUR graduates training, and extent of employers existing relationships with NUR.
6. January- September 2009: Participation in Consultancy of Commission Nationale de Lutte contre le SIDA sur « Etude sur les Priorités Locales pour les Efforts de Lutte Contre le SIDA (PLACE) : Cas des Cinq Zones Agricoles au Rwanda ». Task: protocol preparation, visit of field, supervision of data collection in Eastern province, data analysis, report writing.